Tom Thompson wrote:
Kurt,
Sound cards are just begging for RF interference. They have high impedance inputs and high gain, and as a result, they are subject to fundamental overload. I have used F114-77 toroid cores from http://palomar-engineers.com extensively on my Delta 44 leads and computer leads with good results. Wrap as many turns as you can of each lead close to the card and the SDR-1000 using two toroids.
Good luck and 73,
Tom   W0IVJ

Kurt Vangsness wrote:

I'm finally starting to play around a little bit with CW and in preparation I'm trying things out with my radio putting < 1 watt out into a dummy load (I have an external amp which is off for these tests) and am monitoring my transmission from another receiver. I'm noticing that my transmitted CW tone is not steady - almost as though the transmitted frequency is wavering. I don't notice this with other CW signals received on the radio I'm using to monitor so I have to assume it is my transmitted signal... The resulting effect is almost like a CW transmitter with a very unstable LO.

I tried an experiment monitoring the LO from the sdr-1000 (while the sdr-1000 was in receive) from the same receiver and it does not exhibit the same variations in tone.

One (possibly unrelated) thing I've noticed on my sdr-1000 is that I appear to be getting fairly strong interference from a local AM station on the sound card input. In the panadaptor display I can see the carrier at the bottom of the display (when tuned to the lowest frequency before the radio retunes the DDS). With my radio connected to a dummy load (noise floor is down at the bottom of the display), the carrier shows up around -85 dBm! I've made a wave capture of the I&Q and tuned to the carrier and verified that it is a local AM station. I'm wondering if it is possible for a strong signal like this on my audio cables to somehow cause the tone/frequency changes I'm observing on my transmitted CW signal. Any ideas (both on the CW instability and in getting rid of the AM signal on the sound card)?

  73 and Happy Holidays,

    Kurt KC9FOL

Configuration details: P4 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, Delta 44.