The SSB modulation came to the telecommunication in the purpose of saving frequency spectrum and reducing transmitting power without sacrificing the signal intelligibility. It seems to me that during the years and decades the knowledge of processing the signal for optimal communication grade frequency/power spectrum has almost vanished down and under.

Fortunately, at least our clever software wizards still understand better than we, the appliance operators, what and how to do it for HF-ham radio communication. I uploaded to my homepage a couple of ancient articles that may be fun reading to the newcomers for the basic understanding why and how the signal has to be processed: http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/speechproc.pdf
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/ahti/sdr-1000/filtclip.pdf

The first article is amateur radio oriented and from ZL1BN in Ham Radio, February 1975. This and the more recent good work of our AGC guru, Phil VK6APH, shows that the real understanding has survived well "down under" in Australia and New Zealand. Now the ideas born in the tube (or valve) age are experiencing a rebirth with the better tools of DSP and the Flex software team working as the "midwives". Thanks FlexRadio letting this happen!

Happy Boxing Day and 73, Ahti OH2RZ

  • [Flexradio] VNC Duane - N9DG
    • [Flexradio] Audio Processing for SSB Ahti Aintila