Title: FW: [Flexradio] A bit of light entertainment

Sami wrote:

> Smalltalk? Now, what we need is an SDR project in Lisp.

I fully appreciate your viewpoint but there is method in my madness. When it comes down to it, from a programming point of view all languages are much more similar than they are different. However, from a functional point of view there are certain things you can only do in dynamic late-bound languages.

I did try every dynamic language including Lisp and Ruby after admitting to myself that the wxPython GUI was never going to be what I wanted and the cross platform compatibility (or lack of) was a real pain. But the thing that really swung it to Squeak wasn't actually Smalltalk but the Morphic system for building interfaces which is pretty much spot-on for what I wanted to build. Yes, you could do this in other languages but it wouldn't be as good and would probably take an order of magnitude more time.

I think the solid engineering principals and mainstream language applied to the official console is absolutely right and for the vast majority this is the road to follow, the rest should just be peripheral noise which can be tuned out. For those that want to play in their own space there is more opportunity with this radio than any other on the planet. In my book you can't have too many projects going on, be they hardware, software or a mix like the FPGA project, which I think is great if only I had more time I would jump in on it.

73
Bob

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.