Ross, Tim, Guy and any other fellow sufferers.

I use a Firebox as well and reading these posts got me checking around with a
hand
held scanner and as a result I can confirm that  the firewire cable is indeed
radiating
quite badly. I've found two peaks around 13.968 and 16.357 Mhz and is strongest
at
the Firebox end reducing slightly as the scanner is moved down the cable
towards the
pc connection.

With the SDR I can hear the broadband noise (bit like a fast moving steam
train,
chuff-chuff-chuff etc) all the way from 10mhz to 20mhz at around S3 increasing
to S7
at the peak frequencies. Its probably still there below 10mhz but is covered up
by the
normal qrm etc.  Did the same check with my TS850 with the same result.

Anyway, I managed to get two turns of the Firewire cable on 3 Fair-Rite type 43
cores
(2643802702) and it cured the problem immediately. Type 43 should provide a
better
performance at HF as opposed to the FT-140-J core which appears to be better
suited
to 2mhz and below.

Trevor  G0KTN