> Members of the Flex-Radio reflector may be interested in following the
weblog of my experiences, pro & con, with the SDR-1000. I intend to add
> this blog as time allows (hopefully weekly) as I discover how my
receive-only version performs for trans-Pacific mediumwave DXing and the
tropical bands.

Very intersting reading, I thank you for it.

You seem to have gone beyond the norm in terms of tweaking the receiver.
I'm going to read your blog again, but is there anyway you could write up
a simple "paint by the numbers" step by step guide for fellows like me who
aren't necessarily as deeply into this sort of thing as you are?

You may or may not be familiar with my own "sort of" blog over on the
hamsdr forum, but I'm trying to do 80 meter DXCC and 80 meter WAZ.  I am
currently experiencing limitations in receive performance.  Only on
reading your blog has it belatedly occurred to me that I might be missing
a trick or two.  I need to improve the weak signal performance -- others
are hearing what I am not, even with the great overall performance of the
radio and the advantage of things like visual indication of the overall
noise level, etc., that I never had with any other rig.

My primary problem is probably the limitations of my antenna system, but I
can't fix that until summer.  Anything that can be done in the meantime,
in terms of a few software tweaks, even at the margins, might have a
strong effect on my goals.  I've achieved, more or less, the primary goal,
DXCC (one hundred amateur "entities" aka countries), but I want even more
badly to work all 40 zones -- as you may know, an arbitrary division of
the planet made by amateurs some time ago).

If you care to see what I'm up to, try this link:

http://www.hamsdr.com/hamsdrForum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=5&MessageID=1

It's all amateur-oriented, of course, and so I'm afraid a lot of it might
not be very interesting to you.  However, if you did take the time, or
even if you don't, I'd appreciate any help in terms of tweaking the
receive performance for 80 meters.  I am currently running narrowband only
(CW), though I could do SSB in a pinch.  Given my current limits, however,
real progress will continue to come through narrowband modes like CW and,
less likely due to what the other guy is likely to have, PSK or RTTY.

Larry   WO0Z