Alan

Very nice! Boy that write-up is a labor of love! Great job.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Lux
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 6:06 PM
To: Alan Davis; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] An OCXO for the SDR-1000

At 02:29 PM 2/3/2006, Alan Davis wrote:
>An OCXO for the SDR-1000
>

>In 2 days of spare time I produced a prototype 40mHz OCXO unit built on a
>small perfboard  that is mounted on standoffs behind the terminal block of
>the SDR's chassis.  All that is necessary to use the new OCXO is to go to
>the Setup Menu and change the Clock Offset to 0 and the PLL Multiplier to
>5.  After a 5+ minute warmup, adjust the Clock offset so that the rotating
>vector in the Phase Display Window slows down to a minimum -while tuned
WWV.

>My OCXO equipped   SDR-1000 is now within  0.05Hz of 15mHz WWV and it
>doesn't deviate more than  0.5Hz under varying temperature due to long
>transmissions!  I no longer need to 'tweek' the VFO to compensate for my
>rig drifting, what a relief!  For the 1st time I can rely on the frequency
>readout of my SDR-1000 - down to ONE HERTZ.   That $150 OCXO has made the
>SDR as stable as  the  $10000  Icom IC-7800.
>
>For complete info on my SDR-1000 OCXO project, including the stability
>study and photos of the OCXO board installed, see
>"http://www.n9vv.com/K2WS-OCXO.html"; .
>
>73, Alan    K2WS

Excellent writeup on your webpage.
You make some great points about not necessarily needing "atomic clock"
precision.

For others looking to do this, Bliley is one source of OCXOs, Vectron,
Frequency Electronics, and  Wenzel are some others.  I bought some 10 MHz
Wenzel OCXOs last year (Premium Streamline SC for $249), but Wenzel also
has other frequencies, and the costs should be comparable.  5ppb frequency
accuracy over 0-50C, aging is 1E-10/dy after 30 days. (Wenzel part #
501-04609a)  You can save 20 bucks if you go with the lower performance
"non-premium" which has 15ppb frequency accuracy and 1E-9 aging.

You can also find inexpensive high quality 10 MHz HP OCXOs(i.e. 10544) on
eBay, etc., but the accuracy, stability, aging, and phase noise will depend
on the exact model: Some instruments need good absolute accuracy, at the
expense of phase noise (e.g. a counter), others need good phase noise, but
can tolerate more error (e.g. a spectrum analyzer or signal
generator).  These seem to be in the $50 range.  You might be able to
scavenge one from a "broken" piece of test equipment from a hamfest, too. I
bought an working HP counter with some dead nixies very cheap ($20), but it
has the high stability timebase option, and I'm sure, I could extract it
out of there if I needed it.

There is an advantage in going higher in frequency, because the noise gets
multiplied up inside the DDS.