Gerald and All,

The whole area of a SDR is one that is going to require a lot of technical hand-holding for the average ham, so you need to address this fact.

On the subject of having two reflectors, I was and still am, on a reflector about antennas where there was a lot of technical talk that some of the users found hard to understand, so they split the reflector into two, one for users who had operational questions and one for experts. After a month or so, there was no one on the users' reflector. I can see that happening here. When I was setting up my SDR system I had a lot of questions and I never failed to get answers, most from some of the experts on the reflector. So if you split the reflectors, you risk the chance that some of the most knowledgeable persons won't be on the users' reflector to answer the questions of beginners. As for the beginners using the non-beta releases, that lasts for only so long. It is normal for hams who are technically inclined to use the latest and most feature full release.

Some suggestions. Use the forums to keep track of on a continuing basis, all the technical developments. New users should be encouraged to go to the forums to find out the status of latest developments and also to receive answers to reoccurring technical questions. Good marketing too. In sure you can have enough volunteers to keep the forums current. As for Beta software and reporting bugs, I feel that is a unpleasant reality and I don't know how to get around the appearance that the software is unstable. Perhaps more frequent stable revisions with fewer new features, thus fewer betas for each stable release. I realize that documentation has to follow the stable releases, but perhaps every time you make a minor release, like 6.1, 6.2...., you post pages to update the manual, and then reissue the manual only on major releases, like on 7.0, 8.0 ....

73,  Chas, W1CG