I poked around the web and found some software which said "try the demo,
it will tell you what can be recovered.  if it works, pay for the software and
recover the data."  sounds like a good business model.

anyway, it did extract just about everything, but the directory tree was trashed,
so I have 140+ "lost folders", files intact but with no name or links, to sort
through before everything is back in order.  so the software worked, and was
worth the $$ to me:  Stellar Pheonix NTFS

I'm sure there are other solutions out there, but this one worked for me and
goes in my tool kit.  and I'll be looking into the shadowing recommended here,
as well as doing a full backup.

73
paul