-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Lux
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:42 PM
To: richard allen
Cc: FlexRadio Systems email reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] [Fwd: Re: Preview 14 significant CPU increase
heretoo]

At 02:55 PM 2/11/2006, richard allen wrote:
>You are correct, Jim.  The thing we are trying to determine, however,
>is why the cpu loading increased from preview 13 to 14 and only on
>certain folks systems.  The behaviour relative to covering the window
>has been present in earlier versions.

Any changes in the underlying .net libraries?

I would surmise that one cause of the disparity among users might be the

type of graphics card and if the user is using acceleration on the card.
used to have a Matrox card that Matlab graphics (i.e. ordinary figures
and
plots, nothing fancy) would run extremely slow on (sucking up 100%
Kernel
CPU) if acceleration was turned on.  Turn off acceleration, and while
everything else repainted very slowly, Matlab at least worked.  Turned
out
it had to do with the OpenGL interface and implemention in Matrox's
drivers.

A good test is to go to
Right click on desktop, select properties to bring up display properties
dialog
Select Settings tab
Click Advanced
Select Troubleshoot tab
Set hardware acceleration to other values (and or try other options,
e.g.
Enable write combining)

Try the Rev 13, Rev 14 comparison

There's probably some new feature in the new rev that triggers "bad"
behavior on the repaints (i.e. triggers more painting than it should, or

asks for something that triggers a drop back to implementing the draw
using
a lower level algorithm executed by the kernel, rather than the
on-graphics
board accelerator).

Without a decent DIFF between versions, it's kind of hard to tell what
changed and offer any useful suggestions of things that might cause
problems.  I would look for a new use of some diferent graphics method
in
drawing.