Take a look at Puppy Linux, a very small, lean and mean version that can save your setup back to the CD so next time you boot it's as you left it, you can also install on a HD, Zip, or USB stick. I use it for emergency recovery of data from non-booting systems, or systems hosed by viruses. It runs out of RAM so it's incredibly responsive.

< http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1 >