GA All,

If some of you are running MixW using VAC, how do you control the AF level and thus the output power? Previously on my K2, I would set it to maximum power, about 12 watts, and control the AF level to get an output of about 5 watts peak. As I burned out the finals on one transceiver and I don't want to repeat with the SDR-1000, so I decided that 30 watts peak would be a good power level. I have used several transceivers of the 100 watt variety at 30 watts, and while they get hot, I haven't succeeded in burning out any additional finals. So I turned up the power setting to 100 watts and got about 60 watts peak output, as read on a Autec computing watt meter. So I lowered the power level control on the Power Console to 30 watts. However, that seems to cause non-linearity in the output. The IMD reports I am getting are in the 19 dB range. I used to get IMD readings >30 dB with the K2. You can't control the volume with the output level control in MixW; it just lets you try to control the virtual volume control which doesn't do anything. The mike gain control doesn't control the AF level either. Any ideas? You don't want to use ALC or any way introduce non-linearity.

73,  Chas, W1CG