Gents:

While one may wish the elegance of a variable speed fan, doing so will
likely adversely affect your tuning accuracy.  I find that with the flex
supplied fan installed in a "full" unit sans xverter (i.e. PA, ATU & full
board stack), the unit becomes extremely temp stable in 30 minutes with 0Hz
drift afterward (1 -2hrs) when spot checked repeatedly with WWV on 20MHz.
The cal setting is repeatable in that the unit drifts into the same point.
This is because I use the same relative TX/RX duty cycle and my shack is in
my basement, which is seasonally isothermal at about 56F this time of year.

When I used to have the cover off during the more experimental days, the
drift was erratic and calibration factors unrepeatable.  The stock flexfan
is more quiet than the PC's HDD and PS fan combo.  I really don't know what
gain a variable cooling setup would offer.  As to comments regarding DDS
installations without a heat sink - that thing boils without it.  Also, the
drift is much more accentuated without the additional thermal mass to damp
slight ambient variations, such as those created by the PA, if installed.
If one is using a DDS without a sink, by all means add one immediately for
these and other reasons.

Regards,

Lee Pedlow NG6B
San Diego, CA