Going back to my 8080 machine code day's and older PC understandings.
Hardware IRQ's Priority is still for the Clock/Timer first, the Keyboard and others are down the line. There are ways to prioritize a Serial port higher. Maybe this can be used to input faster a key line. However the Virtual Radio processes (software) still have to generate the Xmit. signals. In time, possibly the development of Macro routine(s) at a lower level language will make CW or VOX response faster. The speed depends on many factors.
Three of them are:
1.) Compiler methods (how well it compiles), 2.) Size of Program, 3.) Speed of Hardware.
Given time it will get better.
Higher level languages primarily use pre determined standard routines (lower levels) to call functions on hardware and other software to make them run. It is possible by software guru's to generate custom lower level (fast) routine(s) that the compiler can use.
Much standardization has to occur before such code(s) is written.
I know it will happen.
I am willing to wait.

Martin S. W7RU