Frank and I have done more investigation and the situation with Windows Vista, while abhorent, is nowhere near as bad as I first believed.

Microsoft and its cronies in the RIAA and MPAA are doing all the can do to stop piracy. Their doomed to failure approach is through the use of DRM. All drivers that will support DRM will be down in the kernel level and all kernel level drives must be signed. If a driver runs in user space, it can be unsigned but it will also be unable to access DRM enabled media and devices.

Sigh.
Bob