Comments in line

Bill (kd5tfd)

At 10:27 PM 3/8/2006, Larry Loen wrote:
<....>
Bill Tracey wrote:

the projects above are C projects -- they don't distribute the tree as a built tree - it's a clean source tree

Right. But, somewhere I remember (perhaps wrongly) a claim that the C# IDE had an embedded C/C++ compiler (or, I had the right to download it from MS or something) so that I could build the C/C++ parts. I just wouldn't have the IDE for C/C++. I thought I did not have to actually buy the whole studio. Would spending an extra 80 or 100 or whatever it is on the 2003 C/C++ (and, is it still available?) be enough? Some of the kit apparently compiles under Borland. I have that, but I'm not sure it all works like that.

I think what you're thinking of is the freely downloadable command line C/C++ compiler from MS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ I do not know if th C# IDE will integrate with this or not - there may be some assembly required to get a working solution with this approach -- probably need to make some make files or some such to build the projects.

You're missing the DirectX 9 SDK.

Am I entitled to this thing?

I believe the DirectX SDK is freely downloadable. Googling for DirectX developer center should be able to find it.

For an open source project, I'm finding it pretty difficult to get started. It seems I have to buy an unknown amount of stuff and download stuff that I (do? don't?) have the rights to unless I buy ??? stuff.

I don't believe it's unknown what one needs to buy to build it - Visual Studio 2003 has always been what is needed to build it. It may be possible to build it buying less, but that may take some work. Agreed it would be better if it were buildable with freely available tools but know one has taken sorting that on as a project as far as I know.

And, where' the readme that tells me what the minimums are in terms of kit? The whole Visual .Net thing is, last I priced it, not cheap.

Larry   WO0Z