I'm not an expert on such matters, but I believe SVN can assist here if the
code is tagged at the time of a new release.  This should permit later
retrieval of all of the modules corresponding to a particular tag, say "Rev
18".

I'm not too familiar with SVN (yet) - we were using CVS at work and recently
migrated to Perforce but based on SVN's CVS heritage I'd expect it to be
similar.  I'll check with our cvs guru on Monday and see if tagging will
help in this respect.  I found this SVN link which looks interesting:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.pdf

Under chapter 4 there is a section on tags.

Pete, N3EVL