From: Jim Lux [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:22 PM
To: N3EVL; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] SVN tags was Re: Preview 18 is Released

At 03:13 PM 3/18/2006, N3EVL wrote:

>I'm not an expert on such matters, but I believe SVN can assist here if
the
>code is tagged at the time of a new release.  This should permit later
>retrieval of all of the modules corresponding to a particular tag, say
"Rev
>18".

That's exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about.  As you say, CVS

has a way to relate internal codebase revision number to "External
release
version number".

Especially as the split between UI and dsp backend proceeds, one might
(should) want to build a v X.5 UI to test against a v Y.4 DSP, etc.

Currently, the entire source tree is treated as a giant mass with
"serial
numbers" assigned to each checkin.

I can see the serial numbers rapidly becoming useless by themselves.

>I'm not too familiar with SVN (yet) - we were using CVS at work and
recently
>migrated to Perforce but based on SVN's CVS heritage I'd expect it to
be
>similar.  I'll check with our cvs guru on Monday and see if tagging
will
>help in this respect.  I found this SVN link which looks interesting:
>
>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.pdf
>
>Under chapter 4 there is a section on tags.

That looks exactly like what I was thinking of...

As the author said, "After all, it's not so easy to remember that
release-1.0 of a piece of software is a particular subdirectory of
revision
4822."

Jim