Hi All

I've got to throw this out from a broadcast engineer's perspective. Since Paul
mentioned HD radio, in a manner that implies that he listened to the AM HD
signal, it may be that the HD process is responsible for the noise. FM HD works
real well (or at least it did until the programming people heard the 96K bit
stream could be divided into two 48K streams to give them something else to
sell), BUT.......the AM HD process throws out raspy, buzzy, etc. garbage 10 -
30 KHZ either side of the main carrier and trashes adjacent carriers in no
uncertain manner, especially if they're weak. We're being forced to implement
the AM version against a lot of our better judgment. A number of AM's have
turned the HD off until someone at Ibuquity (the patent holder) comes up with a
better codec. As it is the FCC only allows HD on AM during the day because of
sky wave causing excessive hammering of on channel stations. Just a thought.

Bill AD5OL

>>> Paul Shaffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/28/06 07:32PM >>>
I need an idiots guide to AM reception. Even the strongest local stations have
a hum or buzz in
the audio through sdr-1000. I would like to get the great audio others are
hearing and must
be doing something wrong. I've tried SAM mode, no help.

The buzziest local am broadcast station is the only jazz station in town. They
just went to
HD Radio. It sounds ok on a regular receiver, but not on sdr-1000.

http://radio.boisestate.edu/stations/DigitalRadio.asp

" Little or no change in listener behavior will be required since all local
radio station dial positions
will remain the same. Listeners will simply tune to their favorite programs and
stations and receive
 them in either a digital or analog format depending on their radio. Because
stations will begin digital
 broadcasting using a "hybrid mode," transmitting digital and analog signals
simultaneously, listeners
with analog receivers will still be able to pick up the broadcast and will be
able to seamlessly upgrade
 to digital at their own pace."