Pas,

I use MixW several times a day. To set it up, use N4HY's blurb "How to Setup VAC with PowerSDR" EXACTLY. It works every time. Deviations usually do not work.

Other tips. I use a macro in MixW to set up CW and PSK31 in both MixW and Power Console. The Psk31 macro is: <MODE:BPSK31><CATCMD:ZZMD07;><CATWAIT:10><UNLOCKTX><CLEARWINDOW><CATCMD:PC100;><CATWAIT:10><CATCMD:PR0;>

The CW macro is:  <MODE:CW><CATCMD:PC040;>

Explicitly setting the mode in the Power Console avoids the problem of MixW sending the SSB mode to the power console when you select BPSK31 in MixW. There is a catalog of CAT commands on the site, plus in the new manual. I was having some trouble getting all the commands executed at 57600 baud, so I added the CAT wait command, which is a command for MixW, and haven't had any problem since. The ZZ... command gives DIGU. When you select CW in MixW, it sends the mode to the power console. DIGIU or L modes have some advantages over SSB in the filter controls and clicking on the signal for frequency selection.

It is also helpful to save the starting frequency for PSK31 in memory along with some other parameters. Recalling the memory plus executing the above macro is all you need to start up PSK31 from any mode. The filter setting is saved in Power Console memory and when it is selected, it goes to the last settings you set. When you recall a CW frequency from memory, the CW filters get set too. So I don't use the mode select buttons except to initially set up a frequency, but recall a frequency that has the correct mode from memory.

There is a bug in the CAT commands. See bug report #142. The software types are working on it. To reset CAT after it stops, got to Setup/CAT turn off CAT then turn it back on again.

To go from RX to TX, press the "pause-break" key or include TX in a macro. You do not need to do anything to Power Console (or send it a macro) to go to TX or RX, as the key or a TX macro sends a CAT PTT signal to Power Console and drops it when you push the key again or send a RX signal to MixW.

I use the waterfall on Power Console. You need to set the waterfall gain on Setup/Display so that no signal gives a clear screen. I set the highest signal to red and intermediate to yellow on the Display colors, to match the MixW waterfall. Clicking on a signal in the waterfall shifts it to 1200 Hz with the filter settings I use. You need to go to Setup/general/options tuning options: and check both RTTY and SSTV to get this. I have the MixW align command set for 1200 hz, so either the align command or clicking on a signal brings it to 1200 Hz, which is my normal transmit audio frequency. I set the variable filter at 100 to 3600 and the waterfall reads the same. I use the spectrum display in MixW, and it is set at zoom X2. I expand the MixW screen at the bottom of the computer screen to cover the entire space, and it covers 100 to 3000 Hz read in MHz. In other words, the MixW screen reads from 7070 to 7073 KHz for example and the Power Console, 100 to 3600 Hz. To set the audio gain, go to the Power Console and go to Setup/Audio/VAC. The RX and TX gains are on the right hand side of the page. The MixW audio input/output controls do not function when using VAC. I currently am using -15 dB for RX gain, and 0 for TX gain. The TX gain sets the power output. You don't want the Power Console to set the power as it introduces IMD. Set the TX gain to give about 30 watts. The above macro sets Power Console at 100 watts, which is a maximum power. Running the 100 watt amp too high will eventually burn it out. Set the TX filter 500 to 2900. I defined a profile called digital. Unfortunately, this does not get reset when you recall the frequency from memory, so if you use SSB (voice) you will have to manually change it. This is optional anyway, and is used to keep audio harmonics from causing problems if you use a frequency too low.

Set the buffers as Tim recommended to avoid excessive time between pressing the pause-break key or sending a TX macro and the transmission starting. I have the time to transmit down to an estimated time of just under one second. Annoying in a contest, but that's about the best you can do. MixW itself has a little delay between the transmit command and text coming out.

If you want additional information, don't hesitate to ask.

73,  Chas, W1CG