Mark,

You can turn the gain on Mon down until you can't hear it. Setup/transmit/TXAF. Set to "0." I also use an external keyer and it works well, without having to listen to the TXAF Monitor. I don't understand the part of losing the first part your first character of your CW. Without a scope to see what the wave form is, I can hit "dit" on my electronic keyer at 25 WPM, and it is transmitted. I normally transmit CW at 40 watts. I keep the semi-breakin set at 1100 ms as I can hear between words, and it keeps from trying to be a QSK rig.

73,  Chas, W1CG