Our version of fftwf_wisdom, which we have called fftw_wisdom.exe, specifically denies you this option because we knew people would do it if they could O:-) and it has absolute no value whatsoever for anything we are ever likely to do.

When you extend the period of time fftw?_wisdom is allowed to run, all it does it try to find optimal fft operations for LARGER FFT SIZES, not better ones for the sizes we use.

We try every size we are ever likely to use and stop after that. No command line options are used at all (as can easily be seen by reading main.c in the fftw_wisdom folder).

In order to make fftw3.1.1 I had to install the MinGW and MSYS environments. This included all of the gnu tools, etc. It took me days to learn how to do this make, install, library building, etc. the first time I did it.

Bob

Ken - N9VV wrote:
Dear Flexers, I have tried to use the various command line options for fftw_wisdom.exe to make it run for longer than one pass. I thought the docs said to enter "-t5" for 5 minutes. But it seems to ignore the -t option with no comment or error.

Bob commented that he had been running fftw_wisdom on one of his super-fast computers for a very long time (days? weeks?) and so I figured it must be a good idea to try it on my computer at least over night. But no joy.

Anyone know how to persuade it to run longer? is it worth the effort? perhaps you get a better representation of the innards of your CPU?

TU de ken N9VV

--
Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.
Center for Communications Research