At the risk of getting my hands slapped (yes, this list now has a bunch
of "Thou Shall Nots..." which are hard to keep up with)...

In a recent communication to this list, Gerald wrote:

> That is to publish BOTH the source and the executable code on
> the SVN server and you will have access.  You do NOT need to compile any
> code to get and run the latest.

Sounds good!

So, I believed Gerald and decided to try out the very latest "alpha".  I
am sorely unexperienced with Subversion, but have TortoiseSVN installed
on my Windows 2000 machine that I've been using in the past to run
PowerSDR.  Briefly, here are my experiences last evening:

1. Made a directory to hold the svn stuff and clicked on the only thing
I could find that would download from the URI given by Tim E. the other
day.  Lucky I have a DSL connection out here in the boondocks of the
Ozarks ... it took more than several minutes.  Ended up with 95.9 MB
(with 172 MB of disk space taken up) in the directory, including 5660
files and 714 folders!

2. Made my way to the "release" folder under trunk->bin and found a
"powersdr.exe".  Clicking on it started up the "wisdom" program for a
few minutes.  Then, instead of starting up the PowerSDR console, it told
me of a fatal error: "File or assembly name
Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput of one of its dependencies was not found"

3. Copied powersdr.exe into it's own folder and started it.  Now I
consistently get a fatal error which starts out: "The system cannot find
the file specified ... at
System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEX (ProcessStartInfo
startInfo)" and continuing with 4 more lines similar.

Even though I might be considered a "software type", my expertise is not
in the area of svn or MS Windows.

It used to be simple to try a new beta version.  Just download a couple
megabyte file and go.  Gerald, it just isn't that way any more!

What am I missing? (besides some files)  Maybe some good directions on
how to use subversion and to properly execute the latest alpha?  Or do
those who wish to try out the latest need to become software gurus?

I can accept the shift ... but I feel many of us are now left out.

73,
Don AE5K