I'm not sure if this is documented but when I was first attempting to do
frequency calibration after I built my Softrock40, I mistakenly centered the
signal from my XG1 in the passband as opposed to centering it on the red
line in the panadapter window -- this obviously produced the wrong result.

Pete. N3EVL