Too late. The decision's made already: Ubuntu.

73
Frank
AB2KT

Jim Lux wrote:
I'm going to leap right into the middle of a religious war here..

As all the linux-o-philes know, there are probably 200 different distros out there, each having some unique properties that at least one person finds useful.

As you move towards more Linux for more SDR, I'd like to throw this idea into the pot.

Many times, developers choose the distro based on their personal preferences: they have other stuff that runs on it, they're familiar with it, they know how to build packages or rpms for it, it happened to be the first distro they ever installed... And, inasmuch as they are doing their development as a labor of love, these are perfectly good reasons.

However, if you're looking to create a product with wide applicability, particularly one that might be interesting to non-developers, you might want to do a "market survey" to find out which distros are most popular in ham-dom - among those who are potential users of the radio! (not among those who might be interested in developing the software)

For instance, if you were to run a survey among the current members of this list, you'd get statistics on what people who are into tinkering and experimenting would like. But this is not the actual target audience, is it? You want to make it easy (plug it in and go) for someone who happens to be running Linux on their desktop. To that end, I think it is worthwhile to consider developing the Linux stuff (at least the release versions) for some fairly mainstream distro (RH, Mandrake, Debian, Fedora, etc.). Why make it hard for someone who wants to try it out. Yes, you can generally recompile for your target, but why force someone to make clean; make, just to try out the sdr software?

From a "demonstration" standpoint a "live-cd" distribution (Knoppix) might also be good.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075