Although many have reported the same results below, the truth is the Heil
mics will work just fine plugged directly into the D44. The setup process is
as follows:
      1.   set the Delta 44 Ins 3 Variable signal level on the hardware
panel to -10 db
2. set the MIC level on the Power SDR to 70
3. Switch to  the Display "Scope" mode
4. Click on MOX
5. Adjust the "Leveler" in the DSP AGC/ALC tab upward [from 10 db ] until
you see a slight disturbance of the horizontal trace. This is the optimum
audio setting. Now speak into the mic "thaaaaaaat" you should see a pattern
similar to a horizontal Christmas tree or at least the peaks should hit the
top and bottom of the screen.
6. If you still need more gain, switch the CPDR on. Start with a level 2
setting, more is not necessarily better.

If you have too much gain,  reduce settings in the reverse order above.

A few other tips...
Use  filter settings of 300-3000 for initial setup
Use the ALC transmit meter setting confirm proper audio levels-optimum audio
is achieved when the RED LINE varies between -5 db and 0.
If you use the EQ, you may have to increase or reduce your audio setting-use
preamp slider for more or less gain.
Always remember to check ALC or Scope levels.

Consider using a flat response microphone-most older ham mic cut off the
bottom frequencies below 300 Hz.

Great sounding audio from the SDR 1000  is a direct function of audio levels
and good quality microphone.

For additional tips, read my article on Optimized Audio on the Users page,
Flex-Radio web site.

I would be glad to meet anyone on the air to help them adjust their audio.

Good luck and 73,
John P. Basilotto
W5GI
Marketing and Product Manager