I read this today on the TenTec  mail list.

Message: 13
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:28:39 -0400
From: "Toby Pennington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR 1K
To: "Ten Tec List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Lee, how about another update on your SDR?
I'm wondering if the ultimate solution may be
an SDR receiver but a companion analog TX (N.B.
Orion does not have an analog transmitter, hence
its problems with QSK, time jitter, etc).

                                      73,  Bill  W4ZV

There seems to be some improvement in the latency areq with the SDR 1K running a high powered computer and used with a foot switch for keying up the rig, and then turning off the internal sidetone and using the sidetone from an external keyer. This may not be considered an improvement but more like a work around. However, there is still the problem of latency when working contests because the SDR will always be slow to crank up and by the time it does the contact is lost. The latency issue will never be solved by the current hardware, and a new rig will have to be produced which will be one to two years down the road. There are a lot of smart people working on the SDR code and I believe in time they will produce a really top performer. The receiver already takes the prize for the best specs of any rig on the market, and I believe it will be just a matter of time before the latency issue is resolved. It's going to take a new rig however, the present hardware will not cut it. Toby W4CAK

Seems the SDR1000k isnt a good enough radio ????? I'm sure the hardware guys would take exception to the need for a " new radio " to make it useable ?? How many of us need full qsk anyway?? my CW would be classed as good by any measure but I still make contacts that count for DXCC !!
Cheers
Keith
PS I own a Tentec Omni 6 + and a tentec omni D so I am biased !!

--
Keith Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]