Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in getting back into the software defined radio area =

again.  The last thing I did was the R2-DSP, and it looks like there =

have been some good strides made since then.  It looks like the SDR-1000 =

is an open design, but I'm still looking for the schematic and possibly =

source code of the control circuitry board.  I'm also looking for the =

source code and the description of the protocol used to communicate with =

the DDS and relays (or possible micro-controller that controls them).  =

Can someone direct me to all that information?

I don't want to just purchase an SDR-1000, and play with the software; I =

would like to play with the hardware a little more this time, than I did =

with the R2-DSP.  Analog Devices is sampling the AD9954 now, and it =

looks possibly more attractive than the AD9854.  First, it has 14 bits =

on the D/A, and I think it should have lower phase noise; third, it =

dissipates about 1/4 the power, which is really nice because the AD9854 =

some special requirements when it came to the circuit board design =

because of the heat dissipation.  Down sides are that you will need to =

use two AD9954's or perhaps you could use a Johnson divider and drop 6 =

meters, and the supply voltage is 1.8 volts, and I suppose there may be =

some issues with the serial programming instead of parallel and syncing =

the two DDS devices.  What other things should I consider?

Are there better reference oscillators available now?  Are there other =

tweaks to the circuit that you would recommend?

Why has nobody made Gerber files available for the PC boards for the =

SDR-1000?  If I did a revised design, in keeping with the open nature of =

this project, I would want to make those available under GPL.  In our =

lab at school, we have had very good luck with using surface mount =

components and the toaster oven method of applying them.  It is so much =

faster than soldering through hole parts in, and a lot less tricky than =

soldering surface mount components by hand.  We have also been making =

our own boards using a direct printing method on thin PCB material using =

a Xerox wax ink printer and acid etch.  The cost of producing a couple =

of sets of boards using these methods is appealing to me at least, and I =

think I could use them in at a couple of classes I teach.

73,

Rob, KL7NA

-- =

Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.