>From G3PLX:

Alberto:  Thanks!  That's the information I was seeking.  It looks as if I
was half-right, if there are, at best, 18 good bits in a 24-bit card. As
Phil says, if 16-bit cards turn out to be worse that 16-bits, then there is
some reason to go for a 24-bit card (which is worse than 24bits!).  But for
sure, 24 bit cards are not going to be 256-times (48dB, 8-bits) better than
16-bit cards.

I will now continue working to convert my own 16-bit SDR code to 24-bits,
but I think I will add a button on the front panel which zaps the bottom 8
bits. It will be VERY interesting to see if it makes any difference. To take
Frank's point, as far as I can see from both the ASIO and WMME interfaces,
there IS an accessible point in the software where this can be done before
the audio data becomes floating-point.

Thanks to all who replied.

73
Peter