I have been fighting this problem for several months.
The problem started after 1.4.16.  Prior to this
release the situation was rock solid.  I get precisely
what you describe.  Also my power output advances
significantly from a nominal 100w to 135w when I get
the modulation.  The situation seems to be random and
occurs about 10-20% of the time.  It will on occasion
correct itself during a transmission, or it will go
into "modulation mode" during a transmission.  Before
it does that I can hear a crackle on the signal.  It
sometimes has variable penetrance, meaning instead of
135W it may only be 110 or 120 and the modulated
portion of the signal is audiably less.

I use a P4 3.3ghz with a firebox.  I have 2 identical
SDR systems including computer and firebox and it
happens on both systems.

Also I have been told this problem has not occurred at
flex headquarters so I am glad to see it is not
peculiar to my system.

73  Lee W9OY