>From G3PLX:

Gerald: Thanks for your response with comments on 1/f noise and image
balance.

I am really not convinced that 1/f noise is 'physics' in the same sense as,
for example, thermal noise is physics which we can't fight. Some circuits
exhibit what we term 1/f noise and others don't seem to do so, so I
speculate that if we are careful we can design it out. I can see it in my
cheapo MP3+, Sami sees it, but Alberto's plot of the Delta 44 spectrum and
my results on the Firebox don't show any significant low-frequency noise.
There is certainly no sign of it at the input of Gerald's elegant post-QSD
amplifier in the SDR1000, which has clearly been designed for the ultimate
in low-noise performance, since that's where the signal level is at it's
lowest. To me this says we shouldn't be frightened of 1/f noise.

I have done a WAV file of an SSB signal received 15dB above noise, received
on my SDR1000 into the Firebox using Zero-IF software, and there's no sign
of a noise peak in the centre. To do this I 'worked round' the oscillator
re-radiation noise by including a unity-gain frequency-conversion (in
hardware) before the SDR1000, so it's not a final solution but a
demonstration of a possibility.  I hoped I could send this to the reflector
so that others can listen to it, but this may not be possible.  I can email
it to anyone who would like to hear it.

73
Peter