Jim,

You make some good points. Frank also mentioned the PLL which I haven't had
time to check out yet, but I will. Also the PSK31 algorithm may be a good
choice.

Thanks,
Steve
--------------------------------------

Given that the received signal will be varying in frequency (due to drift in
the Tx and a Hz or so of ionospheric uncertainty), something like a PLL
might be a good choice.  Fairly low CPU load (especially if you're feeding
in a decimated signal at low sample rates).

You might look at the algorithms being used in PSK31 decoders, which also
have a form of AFC and/or PLL to track the input signal as it moves around.

I haven't looked, but I'll bet there's some literature out there on building
optimal filters for morse decoding.  For instance, you could also track
sending rate, and build a "dot filter" and "dash filter" optimized for the
two lengths of pulse.  You could also do some sequential decoding to do a
better job decoding the characters (that is, essentially look for entire
characters, rather than just dots and dashes).