I also have both.  I purchased my Firebox off ebay
from a seller that also included a prosumer quality
desk mic for the same price as the firebox alone.  The
audio reports have been great and the 48V phantom runs
the mic fine.  Given the addition of the mic ("valued
at $100 what ever that means) the price differential
between the D-44 and the Firebox is dimminished.  I
personally don't have any complaints with the stock
firmware.  Another problem with the Presonus is that
you can run only one on a given computer.  The drivers
lock to a particular firebox for some reason and if
you try to install a second the first will un-install
before reinstalling.

If I was going to get only one I would choose the
firebox with the mic.

73  W9OY