From: John Hansen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:07 AM
To: John Basilotto
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tim Ellison; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] More on Audio Problem

Thanks for the assistance, John.   I'm getting really close to solving
this problem.  I rewired the cable and the hum is now gone.  I'm not
sure exactly what I did wrong the last time around, but I'm pretty sure
that part is now good.  The audio also sounds good both on the PowerSDR
monitor and on my 2nd receiver.  Except for one thing.... I can hear two

voices in both the monitor and in the receiver (note I'm monitoring with

headphones, so I'm reasonably certain that this is not an audio feedback

problem).  In addition to my normal voice I here a second voice that is
very low pitched and sounds like it is on the wrong sideband.  Also,
strangely enough, it is delayed by a few milliseconds from my normal
voice.  I thought this might be an image rejection problem and I've been

playing with the transmit image rejection controls but no change in the
settings of those controls seems to have much of an effect on it.

I can tell this audio is going to sound fabulous when I finally get this

last issue resolved.  I really appreciate your patience in working with
me on it.

John Hansen W2FS

shield--------------------------------to-----------------------Pin 7
PTT-----------------------------------to-----------------------Pin 6
PTT-----------------------------------to-----------------------Pin 5

>None of the wires should contact any of the other wires nor the 8-pin
>connector case-- This is a very  important!
>
>You will need to change the In 3 level to -10 in the D44 panel, up the
mic
>gain to about 65, and use the EQ [the GL has too much low end response
and
>will not sound good w/o EQ]  use the SDR EQ cut the low by at least
6Db,
>boost the mid by 3 DB and the High by 6 db.  Fine-tune these settings
on the
>air.
>
>All the comments regarding Behringer mixers and W2IHY  products are
correct;
>however, they should be used as "enhancers" and not a fix for the root
>problem.
>
>Also, some Heil cables [other cables for that matter] have been known
>have hairline shorts. You might want to check for shorts between each
of the
>wires.
>
>73, and good luck.
>

>John P. Basilotto
>W5GI
>Marketing and Product Manager
>FlexRadio Systems
>Office 512-250-8595
>Mobile 512-663-6727

You can
>get a UB 502 at your favorite Internet Vendor for about $35.  The
Berhinger
>box has excellent isolation and is virtually hummm proof. Also it will
give
>you another 2 input source channels if you need them, and a headphone
>output, etc etc.. The Berhinger box also has takeoffs and return for
>external effect processor, but do hams need that? I thought reverb went
out
>with the 50s'
>
>IMHO the danger of the EQPlus (besides taking tomorrows breakfast from
the
>kids hi..hi...) is that if mis adjusted, as so may of them are, you
will
>introduce excessive sub-audio base rumble into your transmitted signal.
This