Well, it's been an interesting day. We had a blockage in the bathroom
which involved dismantling a fair bit to get at the pipe run. It was hot
today as its been for several weeks, hitting 30 plus so maybe it was the
heat but while doing this boring mucky task I decided to dual boot my
main machine with Ubuntu to make sure the problem was a software one as
it was looking increasingly like hardware...

I knew it would break stuff but I hit the buttons anyway and sure enough
my dual boot machine turned out to be a half boot machine. It would half
boot Windows and then reboot ad-infinitum. Oh ****, I just knew it had
trashed my RAID array and only written to one of the discs. I pulled the
power from one disc and sure enough I had a dual boot machine on one
disc. Not sure I'm brave enough to try and rebuild the other half just
yet.

Having got the new Ubuntu up to scratch and installed my software it
works fine. I guess my parallel port on my other box is not up to the
job.

Bob