I've recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 on an older PC I have in the shack -
a P3 500MHz Box with 384MB of ram.  This machine is dedicated to Ubuntu.
So far, I'm very impressed with what I see.  This is by far the cleanest
Linux install I've done (I've played with Red Hat, Suse ,and Mandrake
previously).  I'd encourage anyone who hasn't tried it yet to give it a
go.  No problems with the install, found all my hardware just fine.
I've installed a few additional packages subsequently - primarily the
gcc and g++ development tools.

My main machine for running my SDR-1000 is a Dell 2.8GHz P4 with 512MB
and Delta44 (Unfortunately awaiting repair after a recent lightning hit
that left it d-e-a-d and also took out my router, an ethernet card, a
pcmcia ethernet card on a laptop, and blew the fuse in one of my desktop
power supplies!).  I'm hoping that the imminent split of DSP engine and
GUI will ultimately lead to a totally Linux SDR-1000 platform - what's
happening on this front - for instance, are there soon to be published
APIs for developing a GUI that talks to the DSP?  What else is
happening?

A couple more questions for the Ubuntu gurus...

I don't remember being prompted to enter a root password during the
install.  I'd like to know this or be able to set this (on the
assumption that I'll probably need it eventually).  How do I do this?

Ubuntu tells me there are 130 packages available for update however, the
update quit when it got to package #45 - is this simply a dead host
somewhere? I've tried kicking this off several times over the weekend
and it can't seem to get any further.

Pete, N3EVL