Greetings,

I'm happy to report that Dave, W5UN, and I completed what we believe is the
first EME contact using an SDR1000 on each end of the contact on August 19,
2006.

I was able to visit Dave, W5UN on Saturday, August 12th, 2006 with the
purpose of getting his SDR1000 (original owner W3EME) upgraded and
operational. Dave upgraded his sound card to a Delta 44 card, and loaded up
the virtual serial driver from N8VB. He had all this installed, and running,
prior to my arrival at 10 PM at night.

We "tuned" the installation, and listened to signals off the moon until 3
AM.  Things seemed to be working as desired.

His old setup was using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (if memory serves me). Upon
installing the Delta 44, his observation was "This radio went from something
with potential (read that as poor) to a real high performance radio!".

Fant, AA5F, and I left his QTH around 11 AM in the morning with Dave on a
mission to incorporate the SDR1000 into the primary operating position of
his station. I continued my trip from east Texas to an unplanned week long
work assignment in Raleigh, NC arriving back at my home QTH a week later.

After finally arrived home at 1900Z on Saturday, August 19th W5UN calls and
says he's ready to run at 2200Z.  We start our EME QSO using a digital mode
called JT65B from the application - WSJT. Twenty five (25) minutes later I
finally heard and saw Dave's signal on the radio. I was a little worried
because they was a ripping aurora going on with some signals reaching 20
over S9 on my receiver whenever I aimed north. We completed this historic
QSO by 2230Z.

Great day in my shack!

Both SDR1000 configurations used one (1) CPU (everything running on one PC)
- WSJT application running JT65B mode
- VAC, Virtual Audio Cable
- N8VB's Virtual Serial Cables
- each person using an External Two Meter transverter

W5UN Station
- 32-17 el yagi antennas
- 1,200 watts out

W0VB Station