UPDATE:

I contacted W8JI, who is an expert on amps, and asked would the ALC
have protected the amp for me when the coax connector failed. He said
it would NOT have helped in my catastrophic situation.

So apparently the ALC line is of limited usefulness, and probably can
be ignored without putting the amp at additional risk.

Jerry W4UK