On 8/28/06, philip gentile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what performance difference do you see between the 850 and SDR using side
> band on 10 meters?

We will try SSB and AM next time.

> Please check your DSP/AGC settings when performing receiver sensitivity
> test, and also not position of Pr-Amp settings.  You might want to go into
> DSP AGC and set to "custom" then turn Max AGC Gain up, Experiment with the
> settings,.  In a DSP radio the AGC is critical to *apparent* sensitivity and
> pulling signals out of the noise.

Unless I'm mistaken, AGC has no effect on FM using the SDR.  What am I
missing there?  Pre-amp was set to "High" on the SDR for this test.

On 8/28/06, David Ackrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The trouble is that, even if you use the same mode, transmitters are
> often set up differently to other transmitters.  You need to check on
> the various settings for the microphone, audio bandwidth, compression
> and other audio an transmission qualities.

The transmitting station was also an SDR-1000 positioned 18.6 miles
from the second SDR-1000 and the TS-850.  No changes were made to the
SDR transmitter between tests.  The transmitter was using ~1 watt of
RF, mic gain was set to 0 dB level, compander was on 4, no
compression, xmit filter cannot be changed in FM TX on the SDR.
Antenna on the xmit station was a 3el Tribander pointed at rcve
station.

The receive station consisted of the second SDR-1000 and TS-850 using
same fixed dipole, same feedline.  SDR pre-amp on "High" with all that
could be, set to full sensitivity.  Receivers were switched twice in
case of QSB, etc., with no change in readability on either.
Transmissions were about 3 minutes each during the tests.

This was a REAL test, on-the air, and all I'm trying to find out is;
are the results typical or do we have a bad SDR1K?  There was nothing
that could have been done to improve the SDR to the extent of
difference in readability of the two units except maybe adding an
external pre-amp to the SDR.

Brian