I got one for you that goes to show everything does have a fundamental
resonant frequency.

I had recently purchased an Icom AH-4 antenna coupler and was trying out
antenna configurations.  I had never used a tuner or coupler before, but
I "thought" I knew what I was doing (NOT!).  I decided to mount the AH-4
under an eve on the end of the house and run a long wire out to one of
the trees in the back yard.  So far, so good. Since the antenna coupler
was about 16 feet off the ground and it needed a connection to ground, I
ran a 1" ground strap to the earth and terminated it with a ground rod,
since that is what the instructions "told" me to do.  Being extra smart,
I tied this ground rod to the A/C service ground as per the NEC.

Now, remember that 16' long ground strap?  Ok, now what is the length of
a wire that is 1/4 wavelength on 20 meters?  About 16'.  So, I crank
this puppy up with 100 watts and I am now effectively transmitting a 20
meter signal into the ground of my house wiring.  The one device that
REALLY didn't like this was my powered subwoofer for the Home Theater
that started feeding back at the EXACT resonant audio frequency of the
metal chimney connected to the fireplace insert.  It REALLY starts
oscillating since I have magically "found" its fundamental resonant
frequency. It made the loudest noise; sounding like the walls were being
drummed on by some giant Org.  The dogs went crazy.  The XYL is running
through the house screaming, thinking that a tornado is hitting the
house.

Now I'm at the other end of the house, the shack door closed, headphones
on making QSOs as fast as I can with Europe using my new antenna.  I
can't hear a thing going on in the far end of the house.  The shack door
bursts open, which does get my attention and in flies 2 dogs and a XYL
totally freaking out!  Needless to say it was easy to find the root of
the problem and I decided that I needed a little more fundamental
knowledge about what a "real" RF ground is and why balanced antennas a
really good things.  The fireplace was grateful too.

-Tim
---
Integrated Technical Services

"Too much of everything is just enough."
-Rob Barlow