At 11:15 AM 9/21/2006, Eric Wachsmann wrote:
>I have swept through the entire 192kHz both in panadapter mode (11kHz IF)
>and in SPEC mode (0Hz IF) and there is no aliasing visible like the FireBox
>pre firmware upgrade if that is what you're asking.

But what's the rolloff of the roofing/anti-aliasing filter in the
Edirol?  If you're sampling at 192kHz, and you put a 90 kHz signal
into the Edirol, does it show up at full amplitude?  What about at 100 kHz?

>   The image is as it
>would be with any other card...mirrored around DC (which is at -11kHz in the
>panadapter, and at 0Hz in SPEC mode).

So all this really checks is the channel:channel match down low (at
11 kHz, in particular).

So if there's a phase or amplitude mismatch at, say, 40 kHz in the
Edirol, a signal that is at DDS freq+40k will also appear to be at
DDS freq-40k.

I suspect that as the use of multiple receivers gets popular, this
will become a more important.  With the conventional scheme, the DDS
frequency is adjusted to keep the IF at around 11 kHz, so, the I/Q
balance only needs to work over a fairly narrow band (say, from 6-16
kHz, which, in the context of a audio device with notional 20-20kHz
bandwidth, isn't unreasonable).

Jim, W6RMK