After seeing a number of comments on the reflector, I determined my
reply
to this issue had to be on the reflector.

        The answer is an emphatic YES. Is the radio reliable? Absolutely! I
come in
every morning and turn the radio on and sometimes it stays on for 24 hours
or more. I work mostly CW with a bit of PSK31 thrown in and an SSB contact
or two. It has not failed me in my general operation. Was there an initial
learning curve in moving from a conventional radio to the SDR-1000. Yes
there was for me, but believe me it was worth the journey.

        Do I try to go with an unsupported sound card? NO. I use the Delta 44
with
a ATHLON 64 3400+ dual core machine with 1 GB of ram and run multiple
applications. A representative configuration would be PowerSDR SVN 683,
ACLog, CWGet/MixW, and Outlook all up and operational with power left over
for whatever else I might start.

        I think a great deal of the frustration voiced on this reflector is
caused
by a lack of understanding of the "processes" involved in a radio
configuration of this type. This is not a typical triple conversion radio
with a crystal filter and audio DSP. Avail oneself of the information
available and understand the "inner gertzwerken" and one will have a much
higher probability of success. The sound card is the secret. It must be
installed properly and operate properly.

        So, to the one considering the SDR-1000.... Are you willing to invest
time
and effort to learn and grow? If the answer to that is YES, then I say,
"Welcome Aboard"! Comparing the SDR-1000 to a KenSuK2 is like comparing silk
sheets to concrete blocks for this ham. And I have the QSOs to prove it. I
use only indooor antennas (a delta loop, and a 40M OCF Dipole) and have a
significant amount of line noise to contend with(the utility company is
working on that problem) but for now the NB and NB2 handle that quite well.

        If you were looking for a fan of the SDR-1000, you found him and I have
lots of company!

Jim, W4ATK