I'm sorry, I apologize, I got a lemon of a radio, and the manufacturer
is not interested in fixing it, must be my fault somehow.

Myself and several others must be imagining this problem, funny thing my
other radios don't pick up these moving signals, it's inside my radio.

Can you possibly imagine that someone else's radio might not work as
good as yours without being the operators fault? Maybe, just maybe they
got a radio that has something wrong out of the factory?

Nah, it could not ever happen.

Jimmy Jones wrote:
> Like I've said many times before(personal opinion).........It's not a
> rig for everyone.
> Take my advice now and sell.
> You boat anchor needs you.
>
> KD5NWA wrote:
>> I have a SDR-1000 that I bought at Dayton and frankly I have been
>> disappointed in it's performance, I have all these signals specially
>> in the lower bands that are wondering around and changing frequency
>> on me, they are at least +20 dB above the noise floor. On my radio
>> the broad carriers never stop moving but your description sounds like
>> the problem I have, except mine seems to be worse. If I turn off the
>> radio and listen instead with my TS-930 they simply are not there at all.
>>
>> I have not turned on the radio in about 45 days because of these
>> problems, and also I have multitudes of large spurs all over the
>> place getting worse the higher you go in frequency. 10M is downright
>> useless, large spurs as far as the eye can see. I sent some pictures
>> to Flexradio of my wondering carriers but nothing became of it.
>>
>> I've been seeing comments from others about how great the radio is,
>> but frankly I have not seen it, right now my SoftRocks work better.
>> Looks like I'm going to have to do some surgery before this is over.
>>

>> At 10:06 AM 9/22/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to let you know about a modification I made to my
>>> radio.  DC1 is a switch mode converter that provides +/- 15 volts
>>> for the instrumentation amplifiers IC6/7 on receive that interface
>>> the QSD to the sound card.
>>>
>>> The DC/DC converter's internal oscillator free runs at ~120 kHz
>>> and is very rich with odd harmonics, every 240 or so kHz, throughout
>>> the HF range.
>>>
>>> This manifests itself as low level 'carriers' that drift around and
>>> through receive frequencies.  When the SRD is first powered up they
>>> move quite fast, but after the unit has warmed up the move very, very
>>> slowly through your QSO.
>>>
>>> These signals were about S4 on my SDR1000 in the 40M band and are
>>> easily removed with the automatic notch.  But, loving to tinker like I do I
>>> removed the DC1 and soldered a 7 pin header in its place. I used a
>>> 1" x 2" x 2", +/- 15v linear supply wired to the header.
>>>
>>> How's it work? Great!  No more warbling tones from within the SDR.
>>>
>>> I wish I would have done more before and after testing. Now when I
>>> connect the receiver to a dummy load, most of the bands are clear of
>>> spurs with the noise floor at -153 dBm.  I imagine that the fundamental
>>> waveform (square wave?) of the DC/DC converter was putting an awful lot
>>> of total integrated power into the QSD and mixing with other signals
>>> there to increase the total spurs.
>>>
>>> It just keeps gettin' better.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John

--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"  Don Seglio Batuna