Zack,

Excellent move!  I've recently subscribed to Make to have some good
ideas for projects with my grandson.

As a follow-on how about a blog on the Softrock40 modules as this would
be a good low cost introduction to our fascinating world of radio and
computers.  Something to easily build that has great results and a good
lead in to the SDR-1000.  Most any computer with internal audio can be
used with the SR40 as a start.

73, Larry  K2LT