On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 09:52 -0400, Robert McGwier wrote:
> Bob Cowdery wrote:

> > I think one should consider in all this the push into distribution with
> > Erlang which frees up each node to be in the appropriate language for
> > the appropriate platform. One size fits all is no longer a limiting
> > factor. The GUI layer 'should' be thin and easily redeveloped in
> > multiple guises.
> >
> > 73 de Bob
> >
> Amen.

This was a somewhat throw-away remark at the time which I didn't
substantiate and no one challenged. I know people have been interested
in the past in easier ways of getting involved and in general that means
high level dynamic languages which are interactive and hide away that
edit/compile/run cycle. This is a back-to-the-future moment where I can
leverage what went before into the erlink-sr system. If you missed it or
thought the earlier post irrelevant there is an intro at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g3ukb/ .

I effectively have a UI API which I can package up quite easily into a
library that can be used from Squeak and Python. I do believe in using
the best language for the job and...

- Erlang is wonderful for the infrastructure.
- C is undoubtedly the best for DSP and arguable HW Control.
- C with GTK+ is good for a high performance GUI.
- Python is good for those quick automated processes and pieces of GUI
in GTK+ or wxWindows.
- Squeak Smalltalk is a great scripting environment and general
playground.

In effect Python and Squeak will be able to connect and play as erlang
nodes against an API that will be exposed in their own language. For
those who played with Squeak before there is 3.9 out which is a huge
improvement in look and feel, less like a toy shop and more like a
professional piece of work.

I plan to work over the next few weeks on some shortcomings in the
framework and on the Squeak plug-in adaptor (Python will come later).

73
de
Bob