I whipped up a twenty button GUI and picture box using Monodevelop and
GTK# and the stetic form developer in about 20 minutes.  15 of those
were learning my way around the toolbars, etc.  However,  anyone doing
it will find it has a familiar feel if they have used VS before.  It is
the same kind of thing:  drag and drop and then manipulate positions,
etc.  and hook up signals.  I did find one MAJOR advantage to
monodevelop/gtk#   resizing is absolutely automagic.  You set a minimum
size for objects and the click a single box to allow it to expanded to
your hearts content.

I am very wary of using Mono for a major development until ALL of the
implications of the MS/Novell situation fall out.  I am personally
concerned that with the Mono development being hosted at Novell, and the
potential problems they have caused for themselves with respect to
issuing GPL software,   that this may all come crashing down on their
heads and carrying us to the bottom with them.  There are no such
encumbrances with GTK# that I am aware of.

Bob

Philip Covington wrote:
> Mono 1.2 has been released with almost full support for Winforms.  I
> say almost because I have found that about 90% of my Winforms code
> compiled for .NET also runs under Mono 1.2 without recompiling.  This
> is much better than a few months ago when I did the same test.  There
> are a few Winforms components that are not yet implemented.
>
> For those wanting to create cross platform GUIs with the familiar
> Windows Forms, you can use VS 2005 on Windows and Monodevelop on
> Linux.  Monodevelop does not have a Winforms designer like VS 2005
> though, so GTK# and Glade may still be the better choice since the
> Glade interface designer is available in both Windows and Linux.
> Monodevelop has the stetic form designer but there is no equivalent on
> Windows(?).
>
> Phil N8VB

Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.
Center for Communications Research