At 08:21 PM 11/17/2006, Charles Greene wrote:
>Jim and All,
>
>There are phase modulated signals, and there are phase modulated
>signals.  The phase modulated signals used in PSK31 do need a linear
>amplifier, as the phase modulation produces RF with different
>amplitudes.  I think the modulation index is 90 degrees which does
>have a spectrum different than the space signals.

I did a bit of research.  PSK31 isn't just phase modulation, it uses
amplitude shaped pulses, to reduce the sidelobe level.  Straight BPSK
at the rate would have the familiar sin x/x with the first sidelobe
down 13dB.  Until recently in the deep space business, we didn't much
care about sidelobes, since we send the entire spectrum, and there
wasn't a "spectrum crowding issue".  Now there is a spectrum
availability issue, so "spectral efficiency" has become more of a sticky point.

The designer of PSK31 wanted better spectral efficiency, and so,
chose a non-constant envelope modulation (raised cosine weighting) to
get there. Since it was designed from the start as a "sound card
mode" intended to be fed into a SSB transmitter (which has a linear
amplifier) this wasn't an issue (assuming your drive is properly adjusted).

Another approach to getting the same result would be using something
like GMSK, which IS constant envelope, but in which the "phase
transition" isn't instantaneous, but sloped.  MFSK16 is another
constant envelope (and phase continuous) modulation with good
spectral efficiency.

>   A PSK31 signal in "idle" is a perfect two-tone signal, and as you
> know, a two tone signal needs a linear amplifier.
Actually, depending on the time scale, PSK31 doesn't really have two
tones, although one can look at it as a DSB suppressed carrier with
the two sidebands separated by a few tens of Hz.

>There is a picture of the spectrum of a PSK31 single transmitting
>"idle" in figure 9.29 of my latest Handbook, 2005.  As you can see,
>there are sidebands which get greatly increased and multiplied if
>amplified by a non-linear amplifier.

I don't know that it's actually IMD in the classical sense (that is,
new components that are related to each other by things like 2fa-fb,
etc.).. I think it's more that the gain compression removes the
amplitude shaping, pushing it closer to nominal straight BPSK.  In
the limit, it would be like running the signal into a comparator, and
then it WOULD be BPSK (after filtering the harmonics).

The net result is that the spectral occupancy starts to look more
like BPSK than raised cosine weighted BPSK.