----- Original Message -----

> ... when it gets right down to it, Windows is more of a
> "Presentation Manager" than a real operating system, and so, very UI
> centric, not OS services centric.

Windows NT / 2K / XP / VISTA is based on OpenVMS, if you look at the way the
operating system is designed you will see this.

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/blog/archives/2005/10/index.html#000081

For more background Google for Windows, VMS and Dave Cutler.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=97&ArticleID=4494

" And now...the rest of the story: I'll take you on a short tour of NT's
lineage, which leads back to Digital and its VMS OS. Most of NT's lead
developers, including VMS's chief architect, came from Digital, and their
background heavily influenced NT's development."

VMS was and IMHO still is the finest server system available today.

I also used RSTS with the PDP-11, started with punched cards and paper tape!

Simon Brown, HB9DRV