At 11:26 AM 1/7/2007, W7CE wrote:
> [...]

You use it for, ahem, post contest "log checking".  Hey, at least the
signal was received over the air, which is a lot more sporting than
"reading the callbook".

But I see all these things as just sort of gradations of various
strategies.. There are a number of CW decoders out there, and for the
typical contest exchange, they'd probably work pretty well.  Over
lunch, we've talked about how it would be possible to build a piece
of software that would do multiple parallel sequential decoding to
dig out the weak signals (find the strong ones, subtract them, etc.),
and while you're at it, totally automate the exchange (QSL, UR 59,
PLS RPT ALL).  Just think, you could sleep while your cluster
computer racks up the big points in the contest for you.  Instead of
losing sleep during the contest, and spending all those hours
refining your contesting skills, you'd be losing sleep in the months
before, trying to get all that signal processing software working.

This would, of course, be just another instance of a Cognitive Radio...

Conceptually, it's not much different than playing chess vs writing
software to be successful at chess.  Neither is easy, they're just
different, and would interest different types of people.

What's cool about the new crop of SDR peripherals (SDR1000 being but
one) is that they actually make stuff like this easier, because they
DO provide a "closer to the air" audio stream, as opposed to
something that has had a lot of analog processing.

Jim, W6RMK