At 07:58 AM 1/11/2007, root [knesbitt] wrote:
>Dave,
>you'll have the same trouble using either DeOxit red or Gold on the
>stainless-steel mini-plug [HOSA]. I tried them all. In order to
>eliminate the oxidation that occurs over time between the plug and jack
>you'd be best advised to re-terminate the cables with 3.5mm gold-plated
>plugs.

Or, if you're cutting the end off the cable, just solder the wires to
the SDR1000 boards?

>  I have done this and its completely eliminated the connector
>interface problem. As well I've found that a very very light coating of
>DeOxit ProGold contact conditioner on these radio jacks removes the the
>previous grudge and keeps them functioning 100% with the  gold connectors.
>Best 73,

BTW, when doing my phased array research with SDR1000s a couple years
ago, I found that most audio cables have really, really crummy
shielding (even ones marketed as "high performance").  I had problems
with 60 Hz and coupling from switching power supplies, etc..   Best
performance (in terms of interference rejection, etc.) was with cat5
style twisted pairs.

Jim Brown, K9YC, has studied this in some detail, and found that it's
because in order to actually work for network use, the twist rate and
mechanical properties have to be very well controlled.  That perfect
symmetry and control makes the self-shielding of twisted pair work
very, very well (better than most coax).

Based on that experience, I'd almost think that the optimum connector
for the next go around on an SDR1000 (if it has audio pairs) would be
the RJ45 wired as for networks.

(Of course, my real preference is to integrate the data converters
and just send a digital data stream)

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075