Jim, you know that the current PowerSDR Console is not supported
natively under any Linux distribution. Dan N4XWE has done a wonderful
job of putting together Teamspeak sessions specifically targeted to the
new Linux users. Please check for his announcements.

Here is a knowledge base article about Ubuntu
http://kb.flex-radio.com/article.aspx?id=10233

and here is a link to some good Linux info about very early efforts to
control the SRD-1000 from a Linux based PC. Right now I think that John
Melton is the Pioneer in this area http://microsat.homelinux.org/dttsp/

here are some Ham Linux resources that seem to be pretty good
http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/linuxsoftware.htm
http://radio.linux.org.au/
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Linux/
http://www.nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/linrad.htm